Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Supplemental Draft Preview and D-Line

Supplemental Draft is Thursday. Vikings are still looking for a KR. The two players they could have intrest in include Roscoe Crosby of Clemson, A very good athlete, they might look at in the 6th round or Agim Shabal of Michigan State, in the 7th round. Shabal is very raw athelete with sub 4.4 speed. Both would be expected to help out at KR.

DT- Rankings PFW 1. Kris Jenkins 2. Shaun Rogers 3. Laroi Glover 4. Marcus Stroud 5. Corey Simon(huh!!) 6. Kevin Williams 15. Pat Williams. This list striked me as curious. First of all, Kris Jenkins although very good when healthy, is injured and highly overweight. Shaun Rogers doesn't have the greatest motor ever, but can dominate when healthy. Laroi Glover is moving outside as a 3-4 end. Marcus Stroud is the best against the run, and although can collaspe a pocket, isn't great at closing out QB's. Corey Simon isn't that good against though, is injury prone, and has averaged 5 sacks less a year than Kevin Williams. Where does Kevin Williams rank? Well since he was an All-Pro last season, with 7.0 More sacks than Marcus Stroud, 4.5 more than Laroi Glover, 7.5 more than Shaun Rogers, 6.0 more than Corey Simon(What a joke), and 10.5 more than Kris Jenkins, although he only played 4 games. I think it is fair to say Kevin is the best pass-rusher. One could argue that one of these guys might have collasped the pocket for someone else. I just don't see it. As far as against the run goes. I see Rogers and Stroud as better than Williams. It should also be noted that John Henderson helped Stroud quite a bit. So I would go heading into this season 1. Stroud (Based on how stout Jacksonville was against the run, letting them take risks against the pass, preserving the whole D) 2. K.Williams. 3. Shaun Rogers
4. Kris Jenkins(Health is a big factor here) and then I would look at guys like Rod Coleman, or Booger McFarland, Jamal Williams, Laroi Glover, and John Henderson. Then I would start to look at a Corey Simon. Pat Williams is basically a Grady Jackson clone, a big run stuffer, who will probably be single blocked some, leading to a lot of pocket collapses, that should lead to a lot of sacks.

PFW line rankings 1. Jason Taylor 2. Dwight Freeney 3. Richard Seymour 4. Simeon Rice 5. Julius Peppers
Taylor was alright last year, Miami's D took a big step back. Freeney is a great edge rusher, but also needs to improve versus the run. Seymour is in my mind the most complete d-lineman in that game in ability to play both the pass and the run. Rice is basically just a great pass-rusher, and Peppers is a freak of nature needing to improve versus the run. I would rank them 1. Seymour 2. Freeney 3. Peppers 4. Jevon Kearse(Albeit a bit biased due to his performance in week 2 vs the Vikings) and 5. Simeon Rice/Jason Taylor tie. As far as the Vikings go I think Darrion Scott could be a very good starting RE, I think we will see a much better Kenechi Udeze. I don't know if BKU though has the closing burst to be a elite DE, but I think he will be good against the run. I think Scott's performance will be a very good run stopping de, with a little pass-rushing burst. I think people will regard Darrion Scott this year as a good third round pick. I think Lance Johnstone might start to decline a bit, but will provide veteran leadership as a situational pass-rusher. I think the surprise will be a healthy Erasmus James, who has shown a Chris-Doleman like pass-rushing burst. This combines with a great set of moves. I think James will impress a lot, and I except in the neighboorhood of 8 sacks from Mr.James.

Overall, I think this will be the best Vikings D-Line since 1993, when they led the league in Defense. They have nice depth, and finally have a nose-tackle they have been looking for since Jerry Ball left.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home