Wednesday, May 18, 2005

My least favorite games

Least Favorite Viking Games of All-Time. This is really since I would have started watching them in 1986.

10. I will out down my first ever football game, a 13-10 home loss to start the 1986 season against the Detroit Lions. My dad told my mom to put me in front of the TV to watch it, while he was somewhere else. Hence 19 years later, this website is born.

9. Week 15-1988. The Vikings were coming off a five game winning streak with games they won-44-17, 43-3, 12-3, 23-0, and 45-3. So then they were going into Green Bay who was 4-12, but had beaten the Vikings somehow 34-14 earlier that season. The Vikings at 10-4 laid another egg losing 18-6. The Vikings lost the division title to the Bears, who they had beaten in Chicago 31-7 previously that season. This also cost them homefield in the NFC playoffs, and that team with 9 Pro Bowlers, would have won the Super Bowl.

8. Monday Night at Lambeau in 2000. The Vikings nearly became the only team in NFL history to win a game with a 125 plus penalty yards, and -5 in the turnover department. But Mitch Berger on third down, decided to throw an interception, instead of throwing the ball away. Then the fluke Antonio Freeman play, only the Vikings could have lost that way.

7. When the Vikings had to win one of two games, with an 11-2 record to get home field throughout the playoffs. They got shallacked at St.Louis, the previous week, I let it slide. Since as described previously, the Vikings had dominated Green Bay earlier in the season, there, lost on a fluke, and were playing them at home. But the Vikings D was terrible, as the Vikings lost home field advantage, leading to more problems down the line.

6. the New Year's day playoff loss to the Bears in 1995 was disappointing. After first round playoff losses the previous two years, with a top five Offense and Defense. Despite, the fact that they had already beaten the Bears twice. They got shallacked 35-18.

5. The Christmas Eve game last year, I was so upset, it took me about 3 hours from after the game to show up at my family's Christmas festivities. How Mike Tice could loss two division titles like he did. How EJ Henderson could stand there as a touchdown is complete in front of him on 4 and goal. What was Scott Linehan thinking rushing Micheal Bennett, then throwing it way down the field into double coverage, then a dump off pass on 1st and 25. I knew as soon as Green Bay got the ball back, it was game, set , and match.

4. The 1988 NFC title game, I was young, and knew the Redskins were considered a better team. But the fact that Darrin Nelson dropped a pass that would have sent the game into overtime, adds to the disappointment.

3. This wasn't so much disappointing in the heartbreaking loss aspect, but rather in the fact that of just a terrible performance. 41-0.

2. The Vikings vs Cardinals Game to end the 2003 season. They wouldn't have won more than one playoff game. But the fact that they outplayed a team for four quarters, as they had done two weeks earlier at Chicago only to lose again. This time via an onside kick, a hail-mary, and a non-fumble call with about 4 minutes left in the game. This was depressing.

1. Obviously the 1999 NFC title game. I remember being in the stands, and thinking the Gary Anderson kick was good, because it was on the other end of the field. I remember Robert Griffith dropping an interception in the last drive, that would have sent the Vikings to Miami. Obviously, I remember Denny Green taking a knee. I remember leaving in stunned silence. I couldn't read the newspaper, for about 4 days after. Then to top it all off, I had to drive to Fargo in a blizzard.

Games I did cry over-Numbers 4,and 10. Game I should have cried over number 1.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home