Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Tuesday Night Notes

. I haven't really gotten a whole lot for new information today. It looks to be the calm before the Storm.

. Tonight, I will post on what I see the Vikings biggest needs as.

. 1- A receiver who can stretch the field, and compete for the number one role. People are underestimating Nate Burleson's ability to get deep, first of all. If you remember in Week 15, He got deep against Detriot corners twice for touchdowns of 36 and 37 yards. He had catches of 68 and 42 yards against the Packers a week later. He then beat his man for the Redskins and made a rare dropped what would have been a sure 54 yard touchdown against the Redskins. He also had a specutacular punt return against the Colts for a touchdown. So he can produce big-plays. A true speed threat would seem to be prefered like a Jerome Mathis in Round 2 to compliment Burleson. But a receiver that creates Physical mismatches like Mike Williams, or possibly the number one player in the draft like Braylon Edwards would help. It is probably most helpful if the receiver could be able to draw a double-team. This is what would make a Mike Williams or a Braylon Edwards potentially appealing.

2-A Physical Safety- I have said that Wille Offord could fill this role, as I was impressed by his playoff starts. I am only looking for moderate coverage skills, but the ability to be a threat of delivering a big hit when a Wide-Receiver comes in on a slant, like Rodney Harrison does for the Patriots. Neither Sharper, not Chavous brings this presence. The guy I see most to my liking in this area is Thomas Davis, that's why I'll be hoping for him at number 18 if he is still on the board.

3-A pass-rushing end. Udeze could develop into this player, but he doesn't bring big-time speed here. He also played Left End in college. Lance Johnstone probably will start to decline, and the Vikings don't have another real-accomplished pass-rush threat on their roster. If they can get this guy. They're D-line makeover will be complete. This is why I have advocated for Shawne Merriman if neither of the top two receivers are there. A name like a Erasmus James or Demarcus Ware bears watching at 18. A guy like Justin Tuck could slip into round 2.

4- A Kicker- I think Aaron Elling could be a decent kicker for them this year. I emphaize the words could and decent. I didn't think he was too bad in 2003. He in fact made a 46 yarder in the fourth quarter against Arizona. But to get a guy like Mike Nugent in round 2 or 3, and to hopefully secure that position for years to come would be pretty sweet.

5- A back-up Nose Tackle. Someone that can be a back-up run stuffing nose tackle on running downs. Someone like a CJ Mosley could fit the bill here.

6. I would say right guard since they don't really have any experienced starters but between Adam Goldberg, Nat Dorsey, and Shannon Snell. I would think they have enough young talent to fill that position. But if a lineman they like is avalible, go for it.

7. They could also draft a potential nickle-corner in the later rounds. This would be for when Brian Williams likely leaves after next year.

8. I'm not too keen on drafting a linebacker unless it is of great value, this is not because their linebacking corps I see as real strong. I think they have plenty of young, undisciplined linebackers they are trying to develop, and I don't think another one would add much to the mix.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home