Saturday, October 22, 2005

Vikings/Packers Preview pick

This is really a Crap-Shoot. The Vikings could win by thirty and it wouldn't surpise me, nor would it if they lose by thirty. If the Vikings lose their season is over, the reason it wasn't over after the Atlanta game was because of the weakness of the division.

Look to see a lot of the Vikings 3-4 alingment which was moderately effective versus Chicago. I hope they actually play tight/physical coverage with the Packer wide receivers, instead of the soft coverage that has led to problems. I think this will determine the Defensive outcome, as I actually do like the Vikings to slow down the Packers running game. I think one thing that will help the Vikings D is that they tend to blitz a lot more at home, and this is why they have played two effective defensive games at Home. None the less, Brett Favre is coming in as a hot Quarterback, looking to make ammends for the playoff loss last year, which happened to be the last time, the Vikings had a good performance. Favre though is operating with a banged up Offense, and I look for the Packers to score around 20 points. The Vikings have been atricious playing the tight-end this year as their linebackers have been atricious in coverage. This is why I advocate constant blitzing from the linebackers, since they can't cover anyone anyway. If you're going to have Napoleon Harris on the field at all, he needs to be blitzing, or rushing the quarterback.

The big question mark is the Vikings offense, who actually did look pretty effective last week in the first half, despite managing only three points. I think I see Daunte bouncing back some as he should have confidence considering last yearhe had 11 touchdowns and 0 interceptions versus the Packers. Having more experience on the interior O-line, and having Burelson back should help. The Packers aren't as able to bring pressure as the Bears, as they are much more limited in their pass-rush, and also much weaker in the secondary. If their was a game, I thought Daunte might bounce back this would be the one.

I was tempted to pick the Vikings, this week, but I can't. Not with all the mess surronding the franchise, as reports have surfaced that players home-life are in disarray. The Packers have played better than the Vikings off late. They have won two straight in the Metrodome. So as I said nothing would shock me. I am picking:

Packers 20
Vikings 17

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home