Thursday, January 05, 2006

Brad Childress-7th coach of the Minnesota Vikings

Van Brocklin, Grant, Steckel, Burns, Green, Tice, and now Brad Childress is the New Head Coach of the Minnesota Vikings.
As I have stated earlier this week, I would have liked to see them look more at Ron Rivera and Kirk Ferentz. I'm lukewarm in regards to this hire.
*What I like the names being bandied for coaching positions. Steve Spagnuolo -Eagles LB coachI think would make a good D-coordinator as he has coached both the Eagles LB's and DB's. The Eagles are a well-coached Defensive football team. Sean McDermott might be a possibility as the Defensive Backs coaches. Darrell Bevell-Green Bay QB coach might be a possible QB coach. Eric Bienemy of UCLA, might be the RB coach, and Pat Schumur-the Eagles QB coach might be made the Off.Coordinator. I like the Coaching Staff shake-up as it is in order. I also like that Childress has connections in both the College and Pro game to make up what I hope will be a greatly improved staff.
*He has worked under two very good coaches, on some very good teams. Barry Alavarez, and Andy Reid.
*Bud Grant has come away impressed with meeting him.
*Childress is supposed to be a good communicator, who gets along with people (minus TO), and quite knowledgeable about the game. Good with X's and O's. Seems to be quite capable of working with a committee leadership approach.
*If they upgrade the coaching staff, and get a better X's and O's guy, than they have really upgraded right there.
My concerns go to the fact that he really hasn't called-plays in Philly, or doesn't seem to have a great speciality he brings to the Vikings. Also, I wouldn't mind a bit more fire in my coaching candidates. A meek personality to the perpetuality underachieving Vikings, makes me leery. He doesn't have the track record of Rivera, or Ferentz.
I will comment as he puts his staff together, and after the Friday morning press-conference.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home